Our Commitment to Excellence Is Our Commitment to You - Guntersville Estate Planning Attorneys

Child Support

Child SupportChild support is usually paid to the custodial parent by the non-custodial parent for the support and maintenance of their children. Child support awards are governed by Rule 32 of the Alabama Rules of Judicial Administration, and are calculated pursuant to the Alabama State Child Support Guidelines incorporated in Rule 32, unless the parties demonstrate a basis for deviating from the guidelines. Absent a deviation, child support will be determined based upon the combined incomes of the parties.

Child support is typically paid until a child reaches the age of nineteen, unless the child marries, becomes self supporting, or otherwise emancipated. If there is a material change in circumstances after your divorce is finalized, you are entitled to petition the court for a modification of your divorce decree. The material change can be economic, allowing either a decrease or increase in child support.

Adult Children

Post-minority educational support may be available to children of divorced parents. If the issue is not resolved at the time of the divorce, a petition to modify based on the need for educational support must be filed prior to the child’s nineteenth birthday. Post-minority educational support is not calculated pursuant to the Child Support Guidelines. Rather, the court will consider a number of factors in making an award for post-minority support.

Post-minority SupportPost-minority support may also be available if an adult child is either physically or mentally disabled. We are experienced in representing divorced custodial parents of adult disabled children who may or may not work. We will work closely with you to reach a settlement or obtain an award that will enhance the quality of life for you and your children.

For Experienced Child Support Lawyers

For professional legal assistance with a child support matter in Albertville, Arab, Guntersville, Boaz, and surrounding communities, contact The Hawkins Law Firm.