Attorney Lana Hawkins assists clients in central and northern Alabama in a range of practice areas, including Family Law, Estate Planning, Probate Law, Business and Corporate Law, Criminal Law, Litigation, Mediation and Appeals. Before returning to live and practice in her hometown of Arab, Alabama in 2004, Ms. Hawkins practiced in Birmingham, Alabama; Palo Alto, California; and Washington, D.C.
An Experienced Alabama Family Law Attorney
The firm’s Family Law practice includes contested and non-contested divorces, child custody and visitation, child support awards and enforcement, post-minority support, modification proceedings, asset protection issues, paternity adjudication proceedings, adoptions, juvenile dependency cases, termination of parental rights cases and restraining orders stemming from domestic abuse. Ms. Hawkins has tried hundreds of family law cases, representing parties in divorce cases, biological and adoptive parents, grandparents, caregivers and minor children.
Ms. Hawkins has been successful in securing life-time post minority support for special needs children and adults, returning children to biological parents against DHR’s allegations of dependency, obtaining changes of custody in numerous modification proceedings, preserving assets and alimony awards in divorce cases, together with hundreds of favorable rulings for the clients whose interests she represents. As a result of her extensive Family Law practice, Ms. Hawkins handles criminal law cases that intersect and may be proceeding simultaneously with domestic relations cases she is handling. In the area of criminal law, Ms. Hawkins handles domestic violence cases, sexual abuse cases, and other criminal matters related to her areas of practice.
The American Institute of Family Law Attorneys named Ms. Hawkins as a “10 Best” Attorney for Client Satisfaction in Alabama in 2015. In 2014, The American Society of Legal Advocates recognized her as a Top 100 Family Lawyer. In 2015 The National Advocates recognized her as a Top 100 Matrimonial and Family Lawyer. Ms. Hawkins was named as a Top 100 Trial Attorney by American Academy of Trial Attorneys in the state of Alabama in 2015. Ms. Hawkins is a member of the Family Law Section of the Alabama State Bar and the Section of Family Law of the American Bar Association.
Estate Planning and Probate Law Attorney
In the area of Estate Planning, Ms. Hawkins’ practice encompasses basic estate planning, including wills, medical directives, powers of attorney, and incapacity planning. She also provides more complex estate planning services to clients in need of revocable trusts, by-pass trusts, irrevocable insurance trusts, special needs trusts, and other specialized trust planning. In addition, Ms. Hawkins handles a wide range of Probate Law matters, including Guardianship and Conservatorship matters, Estate Administrations, and Estate Litigation.
Business and Corporate Law Attorney
Ms. Hawkins has more than twenty years of Business and Corporate Law experience. Her corporate finance work includes handling private equity financings, mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings, equity compensation programs, strategic alliances, insider trading issues, securities law compliance and shareholder and director representation.
Ms. Hawkins has served on the Board of Directors and as Corporate Secretary for many of her corporate clients, and has represented a host of national and regional financial institutions and investment banks, including Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, and UBS. She also has an extensive background in the formation, structuring, and representation of small and mid-sized companies.
Ms. Hawkins received her J.D. from the Georgetown University Law Center in Washington, D.C., and her B.A. from the University of Central Florida, summa cum laude. She is a member of the State Bar of Alabama and the District of Columbia Bar (inactive). Ms. Hawkins regularly writes and speaks on various legal topics related to her areas of practice.
B.A., University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida, summa cum laude
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C.
- Editorial Board, The Tax Lawyer
- Law Fellow
- Dean’s List
- AM JUR AWARDS
- Trial Practice
- Legislative Advocacy
- Professional Ethics
- Civil Procedure
- Top 100 Matrimonial and Family Lawyer, 2015, National Advocates
- Top 100 Family Lawyer, 2014, American Society of Legal Advocates
- Top 100 Trial Lawyer, American Academy of Trial Attorneys
- AVVO, Superb Rating for Family Law, 2015
- “10 Best” for Client Satisfaction, 2015, American Institute of Family Law Attorneys
- District of Columbia Bar (inactive)
- U.S. District Court Alabama Northern Division
- Marshall County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Alabama State Bar:
- Family Law Section
- Estates and Trusts Section
- Business Law Section
- Litigation Section
- Appellate Section
- Elder Law Section
Board and Committee Memberships
- Founder and Chair of the Board of Directors, Children’s Justice Institute, Inc. (2015-present)
- Board of Directors, Real Life Pregnancy Centers, Albertville, AL (2015-present)
- Board of Trustees, Alabama Baptist Children’s Home, Birmingham, AL (2012-present)
- Chair (2016 to present); Vice-Chair (2014-2015)
- Advisory Board, Snead State Community College
- Marshall County Leadership Challenge, Class of 2012
- Board of Directors, Arab Chamber of Commerce (2006-2012)
- Board of Directors, Arab Industrial Development Board (2005-2007)
- Board of Directors, Birmingham Venture Club, Birmingham Area Chamber of Commerce (2002-2003)
- Board of Directors, Alabama Information Technology Association (1999-2003)
- Advisory Board, Alabama Technology Today (2000-2002)
- Delegate, CEO Delegation, Birmingham Innovation Group, Birmingham/St. Louis Chambers of Commerce (2003)
- Delegate, Alabama Privacy Study Commission (2000-2001)
Previous Practice Experience
Partner, Balch & Bingham, Birmingham, Alabama;
Co-Chair, Corporate Technology Practice Group
Special Counsel, Cooley Godward LLP,
San Francisco, Palo Alto, San Diego, Seattle, Boston, New York, Reston
Associate, Shaw, Pittman, Potts & Trowbridge,
Associate, Brown & Wood, New York, Washington, D.C., Bejing, Hong Kong, London, Tokyo, Los Angeles